Beit Furik, Huwwara, Za'tara (Tapuah), Wed 10.10.07, Morning

Nina S., Miryam S. (reporting)

7.15 – Zaatara/Tapuach
The junction is open, no lines of cars from any direction. A border police soldier is trying to “impress” and demands we retreat to 50 meters of the CP, Nina tells him he has no authority to do so. Another border policeman, F. tries to be pleasant and to moderate.
7.30 – Yitzhar junction
There is no CP
7.40 – Huwwara
About ten man waiting behind the turn styles. There are two checking lines and a “Humanitarian”. The cleaning person wonders around the premises. Checking is fast and efficient.
8.00 – There is only one checking line, nobody is waiting.
8.30 – Beit Furik.
No pedestrian lines, some cars are waiting to cross into town. A few minutes after we asked why there is a wait, the cars were passed.
A lorry with goats arrives and its passengers are asked to alight and go to stand in the pedestrian line. It is strange that in Huwwara entrance to town is free, the people sound bitter and angry.
9.05 – back to Huwwara,br> As we arrive, we hear over a loudspeaker a call “charge procedure”. For about 10 minutes all is stopped, people are cleared out of the CP and the entrance path. Ten minutes later the procedure is cancelled.
9.45 – about 20 people are waiting behind the bars. There are 2 checking points, “Normality” of the CP has been reestablished, belts re taken off as before.
The humanitarian line is empty. Cab passengers are asked to alight until after its checkup. It takes about 10 minutes to check baggage that is lying in the road, there is no screening machine.
10.05 – The line moves, Y. who is stationed at the CP, checking entering cars, is easy with his check, and when the occasion occurs he asked car drivers to give a lift across the CP to the elderly and ill who are entering town. A dog trainer is checking a car long and thoroughly.
10.20 – Zaatara junction.
There are about 40 cars in line from the north. It seems that checking is efficient and the line dwindles fast. In the parking lot a bus is parked, 30 of its passengers are standing outside and waiting to get their IDs back. F. says they have been waiting only 10 minutes and asks us to let him do what is necessary without disturbance. When I approach to photograph the act of ID release and their return to the waiting, the soldier next to the army police girl, “poses” for a photo. The people waiting do not look entertained; they are worried about their daily work for which they are late.
10.30 – The action is over and the bus leaves.
On first sight it seems a calm morning that did not indicate the violent afternoon.