Barta'a-Reihan, Tura-Shaked, Ya'bed-Dotan

Twitter FB Whatsapp Email
Ruti T, Ruti K.


15.30  Tura-Shaked Checkpoint

            At this season, when everything is all green and calm, is really pastoral . . .

Cars pass quickly through the checkpoint, and someone says to us “Everything is OK today”.  We offered a not-so-young man, who had walked some distance, a lift to the checkpoint, but he refused.  When he reached the checkpoint we asked him why he had refused. He answered that he didn’t want to cause any trouble either for him or us, because it is forbidden to give or take lifts, and it might cause him to lose his work permit.

We met S., an inhabitant of Dahr al Malech, who greeted us by telling us that his children, who live in Ya’bed, can’t receive  a permit to cross through the checkpoint to help him cultivate his land.  He said, “The authorities want us to leave our land.  But we will never leave our land! It will never happen!


16 – 16.30  Yabed-Dotan checkpoint

Lines of cars on both sides of the checkpoint passed through slowly, one by one. 

On the other side of the checkpoint we saw H., who used to run the coffee and sweets stand at the Reihancheckpoint, and now who works there as a cleaner.  He claimed that he had been detained for six hours and he didn’t know why.  He stood beside his (new) car and we saw figures inside.  The sergeant approached us and claimed that H. was detained for three hours and not six, because he had with him in the car someone without an ID, and that he took something out of the car’s boot, and didn’t stop when he was told to.  H. was very nervous and asked us to help him. He claimed that he had a lot of work and that he had been held for hours.  Ruti T. made a phone call to the deputy commander of the checkpoint, Ron, and asked him to investigate what was happening and to help H. to continue on his way.  She was told that this would be dealt with, and she informed H. of this.


16.30 – 16.50  Barta’a Reihan Checkpoint

A long and congested line of Palestinians returning from work has formed, and there was a long queue inside the terminal.  Only one inspection window was open, and later we were told that none of the windows was operating. The checkpoint security officer told us that there was a problem with the computers. We received the same answer on previous occasions (the main computer in Tel Aviv needs to be repaired).  People started to bang on the gatesinfo-icon.

We left at 16.50