Reihan, Shaked, Tue 13.3.12, Afternoon

Hannah H.

Translation: Bracha B.A.


16.30 – 15.00

Shaked-Tura Checkpoint 15:00

The teachers are returning from Jenin and Tura.  One car was sent back from the West Bank because it was carrying four logs (evidently intended for heating).  After the cargo was unloaded the car with its three passengers passed through without any problem.  Two horses crossed to the West Bank for shoeing and were greeted by all the soldiers.  They were allowed through after many documents were checked and phone calls were made.  The owners crossed through after a lot of questions.


A driver who brought cargo through Reihan checkpoint tells us that if he becomes ill no one in his family can take his place.


15:30 – Reihan Barta'a Checkpoint

 People returning from Jenin are coming up the sleeveinfo-icon towards the seamline zone and workers are arriving from Israel.   

At the vehicle checkpoint a family's car going towards the West Bank has been undergoing a thorough check for more than 10 minutes.  The passengers were sent to the terminal.  It appears that the driver had "some fruits and vegetables for the house."  After the inspection the driver is detained while other cars pass through.


15:45 – We hear shouting from the tower.  It is impossible to understand what is going on but all the checkpoint workers evidently understood and ran outside. All the gatesinfo-icon were closed and a lot of people with children came out of the vehicle inspection facility and approached the gate.   The entire area of the checkpoint is empty.  Apparently some sort of security incident in the area.  


16:00 – We hear shouts from the tower again, and all the workers go back to their places and the checkpoint returns to life again.  Workers coming back from work run towards the terminal. Many workers crowd at the entrance, but only two windows are open.   

Two women with a babyinfo-icon who have returned from Jenin have been waiting for a half hour at the entrance to the sleeve for their car to be checked  At 16:20 8 cars emerge from the inspection facility after more than an hour's wait, and the two women and the baby can finally go home