Etzion DCL, Mon 28.3.11, Afternoon

Twitter FB Whatsapp Email
Shlomit S., Ora A. (reporting). Charles K. (Translating)

Etzion DCL, 14:20 pm:  thirty people waiting in the hall and another 15 outside. All complain of the long wait; they see no end to it.  We called the humanitarian office.

14:55  A man who received a magnetic card came out saying he entered at 9:00, and waited within until now. Two others who’d received magnetic cards followed him.

14:50  A group of people gave up and left.

14:55  A youth came out who’d already been here twice: two weeks ago, and last week.  He waited all day each time, but didn’t get in.  Today he did, received what he wanted and exited gleefully.

15:00  Three more people gave up and left.  From the time we arrived until now, only five people came out having received magnetic cards.

15:05  The sixth man who received a card came out.  He said he arrived at 06:30 and waited until now.  He complained there’s no drinking water.  The drinking faucet within is out of order.

A young man approached us, saying he’d requested an entry permit to be with his brother who’s scheduled today for heart surgery in Mukassed Hospital. He was refused a permit. They told him they hadn’t received information from the hospital. Shlomit tried to call the hospital but wasn’t successful. She called the humanitarian office; with their help, after repeated efforts, the hospital sent the information again. The man entered.  He came out at 17:00, permit in hand.

An older man approached us; he makes curtains.  He received a two-day entry permit to Jerusalem to look for work.  He was lucky, found a job and can begin immediately. The woman who owns the shop told him she very much needs a skilled worker, and wants him to begin immediately.  He returned to the DCL to obtain a work permit but was refused. We spoke to the shop owner who said she’s trying to help him get a permit. She’s been trying unsuccessfully for two weeks to contact the employment office for a permit. She said she’ll keep trying.

Until 16:45, someone would occasionally come out with a magnetic card, but the hall was still full.  At 17:00 they announced that it would close and sent everyone home.

A group of disappointed people, among them a deaf-mute, waited outside for the officer whose job was to lock the doors. They hoped to speak with him, convince him to let them enter. When he arrived he heard what they had to say, but didn’t do what they wished. Shlomit told him about the deaf-mute who’d waited since the morning.  The officer agreed to receive him but said he’d have to wait 20 minutes for the computers, which had been turned off, to come up again. The man went in, came out after about half an hour and shook Shlomit’s hand.