Bethlehem, Fri 6.11.09, Morning
09:00 - 10:40 AM, Bethlehem - Checkpoint 300: a great many people crossing throughout the shift. At first two positions are open with lines at each. However, transit is fast, the machine works and for the most part people are not required to put their more than once or twice. Everything is quiet. The soldiers don't shout.
At a certain stage two more positions open, even though the line is shorter.
One of the security men is smoking.
- You know that smoking is forbidden here?
- Yes, but there is nothing to do.
- Why don't you smoke outside?
- And who will take care of order here? Look how organised the passage is here, not like on the other side.
- Apparently there aren't enough positions on the other side.
- As it happens they opened two. But crowds are coming and they push. Yesterday someone was almost crushed. With all the shoving seven people entered a turnstile!
So says the security man.
A Palestinian approaches us and says that it was very difficult: “There are a lot of people on the other side and it takes a long time. It's been like this all week. Important you should report it.”