Eyal Crossing, 'Anabta, Deir Sharaf, Irtah (Sha'ar Efrayim), Tue 15.9.09, Afternoon

Dalya F., Bruria R. (reporting)

Translator:  Charles K.

The entrance to the village is still blocked.

Barrels checkpoint
2:30  Vehicles pass without inspection.

Anabta checkpoint
2:45  Cars pass without inspection.

3:00  There was one open inspection booth when we arrived, and a long line began to form a few minutes later both inside and outside the installation.  We went over to the guard and asked that more booths be opened, but the person in charge said that was enough, and that there were no lines.  After Dalya returned to the checkpoint and confirmed that there was still a long line, she went back and told him, and then three more booths were opened and the lines disappeared.  Two booths then remained open.  The Palestinians who had been on line told us that the pushing and crowding in the afternoon pales by comparison to what happens in the morning.

4:00  When we arrived at the checkpoint we saw three buses which had been stopped; most of the passengers who had to get off were women.  Later we learned they were relatives of prisoners, returning from a prison visit.  At the entrance to the checkpoint, as well as inside, long, crowded lines had formed, and people came out at a very slow rate.  It’s important to note that there’s no way to talk to any of the staff at this checkpoint.  It would be a great help if we had their phone number – maybe one of the coordinators could get it?

We phoned the humanitarian office, who promised to look into it, and about 15 minutes later one of the staff members came out and told the laborers to form a separate line.  Then things began moving.

The staff member came over to us and began yelling and speaking rudely.  He claimed that we arranged for the buses to arrive earlier, at 5 instead of at 6:30.  What do we expect; there are five booths (which opened, of course, only after we complained).  He also claimed that we didn’t have permission to stand there, and threatened to remove us.

We heards the yells, and were glad that things improved.